Biryani-style baked chicken and rice
- March 2008
- Serves 4
- Takes 20 minutes to make and about 30 minutes in the oven
This biryani-style baked chicken recipe makes for a satisfying, budget-friendly meal.
- Dairy-free recipes
- 19g (4.3g saturated)
- 68.5g (3.2g sugar)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 8 bone-in chicken thighs, with skin
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, sliced
- 2 tsp garam masala
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1 green chilli, finely sliced
- 300g basmati rice
- 650ml chicken stock, hot
- 200g frozen mixed green vegetables
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh flatleaf parsley
- Preheat the oven to 190°C/fan170°C/ gas 5. Heat the oil in a large roasting tin on the hob. Add the chicken and fry over a high heat until golden brown all over. Remove and set aside.
- Add the onion and cook gently for 6-8 minutes. Stir in the garlic, garam masala, ginger and chilli. Stir in the rice and cook for 1 minute. Top with the chicken and pour over the stock.
- Cover with foil and bake for 20 minutes, until the rice has nearly absorbed all of the stock. Add a dash of hot water if the rice looks dry. Uncover and stir in the frozen vegetables. Re-cover and bake for 8-10 minutes, until everything is cooked. Scatter with parsley to serve.
Use salmon fillets with skin instead of the chicken. Pan-fry briefly in step 1, then put on the rice in step 3, after the vegetables.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Pan-fried fish with pea guacamole and new potatoes
This simple and fuss-free pan-fried fish dinner can be made with your favourite white fish...