Biryani-style baked chicken and rice
- March 2008
- Serves 4
- Takes 20 minutes to make and about 30 minutes in the oven
This biryani-style baked chicken recipe makes for a satisfying, budget-friendly meal.
- Dairy-free recipes
- 19g (4.3g saturated)
- 68.5g (3.2g sugar)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 8 bone-in chicken thighs, with skin
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, sliced
- 2 tsp garam masala
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1 green chilli, finely sliced
- 300g basmati rice
- 650ml chicken stock, hot
- 200g frozen mixed green vegetables
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh flatleaf parsley
- Preheat the oven to 190°C/fan170°C/ gas 5. Heat the oil in a large roasting tin on the hob. Add the chicken and fry over a high heat until golden brown all over. Remove and set aside.
- Add the onion and cook gently for 6-8 minutes. Stir in the garlic, garam masala, ginger and chilli. Stir in the rice and cook for 1 minute. Top with the chicken and pour over the stock.
- Cover with foil and bake for 20 minutes, until the rice has nearly absorbed all of the stock. Add a dash of hot water if the rice looks dry. Uncover and stir in the frozen vegetables. Re-cover and bake for 8-10 minutes, until everything is cooked. Scatter with parsley to serve.
Use salmon fillets with skin instead of the chicken. Pan-fry briefly in step 1, then put on the rice in step 3, after the vegetables.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Dinner ideas for two
Roast sea bream with fennel, sourdough and preserved lemons
Enjoy the classic fresh flavours of this quick and easy sea bream recipe for two...