Black bean burger with seared halloumi
- September 2012
- 3 ciabatta rolls
- 400g tin black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 tsp each chilli powder and sweet smoked paprika
- Small bunch of fresh coriander, chopped
- 1 medium free-range egg, beaten
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 Yamas! Halloumi Burger Slices (from Tesco), or similar
- 211g Tesco Hot Tomato Salsa Dip, or similar
- 1 ripe avocado, sliced
- In a food processor, pulse one of the rolls into fine breadcrumbs and set aside.
- Put the beans in a bowl and mash with a potato masher until roughly crushed. Add the breadcrumbs, spices, fresh coriander, a pinch of seasoning and enough beaten egg to bind. Shape into 2 thick burgers, then chill for 15 minutes until firm.
- Heat the oil in a non-stick frying pan over a medium heat and fry the burgers for 5-6 minutes, turning once, until crisp and piping hot throughout. Remove and set aside.
- Sear the halloumi slices on each side for 30 seconds in the same pan. Halve and lightly toast the remaining ciabatta rolls, then spread a little of the salsa on the bottom halves. Top each with a bean burger, a slice of hot halloumi, a few slices of avocado and a dollop more of the salsa, then sandwich together with the top halves of the ciabatta rolls.
Freeze the uncooked burgers. Defrost overnight in the fridge, then cook as normal.
Rate & review
Subscribe to our magazine
Food lovers, treat yourself this Christmas... Enjoy 12 months of magazines for £29.99 – just £2.50 an issue.Subscribe
Unleash your inner chef
Looking for inspiration? Receive the latest recipes with our newsletter