Black velvet and cream jelly
- December 2011
- Serves 8
- Takes 15 minutes to make, 5 minutes to cook, plus setting
Impress your dinner guests with this simple, grown-up black velvet jelly recipe which uses a splash of Guinness for that lovely rich colour and flavour.
- 15.1g (9.4g saturated)
- 21.7g (22.2g sugars)
For the cream layer
- Vegetable oil for greasing
- 2 gelatine leaves
- 225ml double cream
- 100g caster sugar
For the black velvet layer
- 9 gelatine leaves
- 400ml cava or Prosecco
- 50g caster sugar
- 300ml Guinness
- Grease a 1.1 litre jelly mould with a little vegetable or other flavourless oil. Cover the gelatine for the cream layer with a little cold water and leave to soak for a minute or two. Meanwhile, heat the cream and caster sugar in a small pan until almost boiling.
- Remove the pan from the heat. Squeeze out the gelatine, then stir it into the hot cream. Make sure it has all dissolved, then allow to cool, pour into the mould and chill for 2 hours until set.
- Once the first layer has set, soak the gelatine for the black velvet layer in a bowl of cold water. Heat 250ml of the cava with the sugar
- in a bowl set over (but not touching) a pan of simmering water, stirring until all the sugar has dissolved.
- Squeeze the water from the gelatine and stir it into the hot liquid until it has thoroughly dissolved. Pour this mixture into a jug with
- the rest of the sparkling wine and the Guinness, then let the bubbles die down before proceeding.
- Remove the mould from the fridge and pour the black velvet layer on top. (Make sure the cream layer has set solid first.) Return the full mould to the fridge and chill for 3 hours, or up to 5 days. To serve, dip the mould briefly in hot water, then invert the jelly onto a plate.
Make up to 5 days in advance and keep in the fridge in its mould, covered in lightly greased cling film. Unmould as per the instructions in step 5.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...