Set vanilla cream and sauternes jellies
- December 2013
- Serves 6
- Takes 30 minutes to make, plus overnight setting
You can adjust the flavour of these adult-only jelly recipe by using port, marsala, madeira or sweet sherry instead.
- 45.8g (28.4g saturated)
- 14.5g (14.5g sugars)
For the set cream
- 500ml double cream
- 70ml buttermilk
- 150ml whole milk
- 1 vanilla pod, split and seeds scraped
- 60g caster sugar
- 3 gelatine leaves (we used Costa)
For the sauternes jelly
- 300ml sauternes (port, masala, madeira or sweet sherry will also work)
- 3 gelatine leaves
- Start with the set cream layer. In a large saucepan, gently heat the cream, buttermilk, milk and vanilla pod and seeds with the caster sugar until the sugar has melted – don’t let it boil or the buttermilk will curdle.
- Meanwhile, soak 3 gelatine leaves in cold water for 2 minutes until soft and spongy. When the cream is steaming, take off the heat and, after squeezing out any excess water, add the gelatine. Stir until completely dissolved. Strain into a jug, then pour into 6 tumblers or wine glasses. Leave to cool, then put in the fridge for 3-4 hours to set.
- When the creams have set, make the jelly. Pour 150ml of the sauternes into a saucepan and add the 3 gelatine leaves. Leave the gelatine to soften, then heat gently, stirring, until the gelatine has dissolved. Strain the mixture into the remaining sauternes, stir to combine and leave to cool to room temperature (it will still be liquid). Pour this on top of the creams, then return to the fridge to chill overnight until set. Serve the creams with crisp, buttery biscuits.
The puddings can be made and refrigerated, covered, for up to 2 days. Take them out of the fridge 30 minutes before serving.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Recipes with gin
Vanilla pannacottas with sloe gin and rosemary jelly
The addition of rosemary and sloe gin-spiked jelly takes these...
Subscribe to our magazine
Food lovers, treat yourself this Christmas... Enjoy 12 months of magazines for £29.99 – just £2.50 an issue.Subscribe
Unleash your inner chef
Looking for inspiration? Receive the latest recipes with our newsletter