Buttermilk ice cream with rhubarb compote
- March 2008
- 150g caster sugar
- Zest of ½ lemon
- ½ vanilla pod, split lengthways
- 500ml double cream
- 500ml buttermilk
For the rhubarb compote
- Juice of 2 oranges
- 2 tbsp caster sugar
- 1 vanilla pod, split lengthways
- 1kg forced rhubarb, trimmed, washed and cut into 2cm chunks
- Make the compote. Put the orange juice, sugar and vanilla in a pan over a low heat and stir until the sugar dissolves. Add the rhubarb and bring to a simmer, then remove from the heat. Cover and set aside for 10 minutes. The rhubarb pieces should break down into a compote in that time. If not, cover for another 5 minutes, then remove the vanilla pod. Chill for up to 3-4 days.
- Make the ice cream. Put the sugar, lemon zest and vanilla together in a pan. Add the cream and bring to a very gentle simmer on the hob, stirring, until the sugar dissolves. Cool completely, strain into a bowl and stir in the buttermilk.
- Churn the mixture in an ice cream maker for 15-20 minutes or, if you’re not using one, allow to freeze for 2 hours before whisking the edges into the middle. Repeat 1 hour later, and 30 minutes after that, before allowing the ice cream to set in the freezer. Serve scoops of ice cream with the compote.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Champagne rhubarb cocktail
This delicious cocktail recipe is made with homemade rhubarb syrup, orange juice, gin and chilled...