Chargrilled summer vegetables
- September 2010
- Serves 8
- Takes 30 minutes to make, 1 hour 10-15 minutes to cook
This vegetable side dish recipe is best cooked on the barbecue, but a ridged griddle makes a good alternative.
- Dairy-free recipes
- 25.5g (3.8g saturated)
- 5.8g (4.5g sugar)
- 2 garlic bulbs
- 250ml extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp sea salt, plus extra for sprinkling
- Zest of 1 lemon, finely chopped
- Handful of fresh thyme, leaves picked and finely chopped
- Handful of fresh rosemary, finely chopped
- 100g chopped black kalamata olives
- 2 aubergines, sliced into 1cm rounds
- 4 courgettes, sliced diagonally into 1cm ovals
- 500g runner beans, cut diagonally into thirds if very large
- 2 bunches of spring onions
- Light/preheat the barbecue or preheat the oven to 180°C/fan160°C/gas 4.
- Slice the top 5mm off the garlic bulbs – the flesh should be just exposed – then drizzle with 50ml of the olive oil. Sprinkle over some salt, then wrap in foil and cook on the barbecue (don’t forget to turn occasionally) or in the oven for 45-50 minutes until golden and sticky. Allow to cool, then squeeze the garlic flesh out of the papery casings into a bowl. Add the lemon zest, chopped thyme and rosemary, 1 tsp sea salt, the olives, some ground black pepper and 150ml of the olive oil. Mix together well.
- Brush the vegetables with the remaining olive oil, sprinkle with salt, then char on the barbecue or on a hot griddle for 4-5 minutes until lightly blackened all over. Place on a large serving dish, pour over the marinade and leave to sit at room temperature for up to an hour before serving with the barbecued chicken and sweetcorn.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
June seasonal recipes
Sardines on toast with sorrel and horseradish alioli
Elevate sardines on toast with citrussey sorrel and a punchy horseradish aioli in this summery...