Cheat’s coq au vin
- October 2006
- 1 tbsp sunflower oil
- 4 boneless chicken breasts
- 150g streaky bacon, chopped
- 250g chestnut mushrooms, quartered
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh thyme leaves
- 3 garlic cloves, 2 chopped and 1 halved
- 150ml red wine
- 300g tub fresh chicken gravy
- 4 baguette slices, cut thickly on the diagonal
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan, add the chicken breasts and cook over a medium heat for 5 minutes each side or until golden. Remove and set aside.
- Add the bacon to the pan and cook for 5 minutes, until browned. Stir in the mushrooms, thyme and chopped garlic and cook for 5 minutes.
- Return the chicken to the pan, add the wine and bubble until reduced by half. Pour in the chicken gravy and simmer for 5 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through and the sauce is thick.
- Toast the baguette slices under the grill and rub with the cut garlic. Divide the bread between plates, spoon over the coq au vin and serve with steamed French beans.
Rate & review