Cheat’s jerk chicken
- February 2010
- Serves 2
- Take 10 minutes to make, 10 minutes to cook, plus marinating
Give your midweek meal the Caribbean treatment with this quick jerk chicken recipe, served with creamy coconut rice.
- 2 free-range chicken breasts
- 2 tbsp jerk paste or marinade
- 120g can pineapple pieces
- 1 red chilli, deseeded and diced
- 150ml vegetable stock
- 75ml coconut cream
- 3 spring onions, thinly sliced
- 250g pack microwaveable basmati rice
- In a bowl, coat the chicken breasts in the jerk paste or marinade and a little olive oil, and leave for 10 minutes to marinate.
- Drain the pineapple pieces, place the pineapple in a bowl and stir in the diced red chilli to make a quick salsa. Set aside.
- Bring the stock to the boil in a saucepan, stir in the coconut cream and spring onion, then add the basmati rice, breaking it up with a spoon. Simmer for a couple of minutes until warmed through. Season to taste.
- Meanwhile, preheat a griddle pan to medium-hot. Griddle the chicken for 3 minutes each side until cooked through. Serve the jerk chicken with the coconut rice and the spicy pineapple salsa.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Trinidad’s signature mildly spiced dish of chicken pelau is a tasty one-pot meal, filled with...