Cheat’s pesto pasta
- April 2009
- Serves 2
- Takes 10 min to make and 12 min to cook
A quick pasta recipe that’s ready in a matter of minutes; veggies can replace the chorizo with roasted red peppers.
- 175g frozen mixed peas and beans
- 300g orecchiette pasta or other small pasta
- 50g ready-sliced chorizo, cut into strips
- A drizzle of olive oil
- A heaped spoonful of fresh pesto (we like Sacla)
- A handful of fresh basil leaves
- 2 thick slices of crusty bread
- Ready-made garlic butter
- Parmesan shavings, to serve
- Preheat the grill to medium and bring a large pan of salted water to the boil. Blanch the peas and beans in the water for 30 seconds, then remove with a slotted spoon and plunge into iced water. Remove the skins from the broad beans, and set aside.
- Add the pasta to the boiling water and cook according to pack instructions until al dente.
- Dry-fry chorizo in a pan until crispy, add the blanched peas and beans and cook for a further 2 minutes. Drain the pasta, season, and toss with the chorizo, beans and a drizzle of olive oil. Stir in a heaped spoonful of fresh pesto and a handful fresh basil leaves.
- Meanwhile, pop 2 thick slices crusty bread under the grill until toasted on 1 side. Turn over, spread the untoasted side with ready-made garlic butter and grill until melted and crisp. Serve alongside the pasta, with Parmesan shavings, if you like.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Healthy salad recipes
New potatoes, king prawns and chorizo with tomato and chilli
Clever time-saving ingredients makes this prawn recipe a great midweek meal option.
Moroccan-spiced lamb steaks
This Moroccan inspired recipe offers a healthy alternative to steak and chips – a simple...