Cheat’s pesto pasta
- April 2009
- 175g frozen mixed peas and beans
- 300g orecchiette pasta or other small pasta
- 50g ready-sliced chorizo, cut into strips
- A drizzle of olive oil
- A heaped spoonful of fresh pesto (we like Sacla)
- A handful of fresh basil leaves
- 2 thick slices of crusty bread
- Ready-made garlic butter
- Parmesan shavings, to serve
- Preheat the grill to medium and bring a large pan of salted water to the boil. Blanch the peas and beans in the water for 30 seconds, then remove with a slotted spoon and plunge into iced water. Remove the skins from the broad beans, and set aside.
- Add the pasta to the boiling water and cook according to pack instructions until al dente.
- Dry-fry chorizo in a pan until crispy, add the blanched peas and beans and cook for a further 2 minutes. Drain the pasta, season, and toss with the chorizo, beans and a drizzle of olive oil. Stir in a heaped spoonful of fresh pesto and a handful fresh basil leaves.
- Meanwhile, pop 2 thick slices crusty bread under the grill until toasted on 1 side. Turn over, spread the untoasted side with ready-made garlic butter and grill until melted and crisp. Serve alongside the pasta, with Parmesan shavings, if you like.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Quick sausages and peppers with polenta
Swap bangers and mash for this quick Italian-inspired sausage recipe, with chargrilled peppers and creamy...