Healthy chicken arrabbiata
- October 2016
- Serves 4
- Hands-on time 30 min
A quick and easy midweek dinner, this chicken arrabbiata recipe with new potatoes and spinach will bring a taste of Italy into your home.
Want more? Find all our Italian chicken recipes.
- Dairy-free recipes
- 14.9g (2.2g saturated)
- 11.5g (10.9g sugars)
- 4 free-range British skinless and boneless chicken breasts
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, finely sliced
- 1 large red chilli, finely sliced
- 2 x 400g cans chopped tomatoes
- 400g fresh cherry tomatoes
- 120g pitted black olives, halved
- 2 tbsp capers, drained and rinsed
- ½ small bunch fresh basil, roughly chopped
To serve (optional)
- Steamed spinach and boiled new potatoes
- Put each chicken breast between 2 pieces of baking paper and flatten to 1cm thick with a rolling pin or meat tenderiser. Set aside.
- Heat 1 tbsp oil in a medium saucepan, then fry the garlic and chilli for 2 minutes. Add the canned tomatoes and cherry tomatoes. Cook for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the sauce has thickened and the cherry tomatoes are beginning to break down. Add the olives, capers and basil with a good pinch of salt and pepper. Stir.
- While the sauce is cooking, heat a griddle pan until smoking hot. Lightly brush the chicken all over with the remaining oil and season well, then griddle for 4 minutes on each side or until cooked. Rest for 5 minutes, then slice.
- Pour the sauce over the chicken, then serve with steamed spinach and boiled new potatoes, if you like.
This makes double the quantity of sauce needed; freeze half so you have a speedy pasta sauce at the ready.
Rate & review