Chicken, caraway and beetroot risotto
- October 2012
- 25g butter
- 5 free-range mini chicken fillets, halved lengthways
- 2 tsp caraway seeds, lightly toasted
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 200g risotto rice (we like Gallo)
- Splash of dry white wine
- 700ml good-quality chicken stock, hot
- 2 medium ready-cooked beetroot (about 180g), coarsely grated
- 25g parmesan, finely grated
- Set a frying pan over a medium heat and melt the butter. Add the chicken fillets with 1 tsp of the caraway seeds, then fry until beginning to brown. Remove the chicken, retaining the juices, and set aside.
- Add the onion to the pan and gently sauté for 5 minutes until soft and translucent. Stir in the rice, coating in the juices, then cook for a couple more minutes. Pour in the wine and bubble for 30 seconds, then add the stock, a ladleful at a time, stirring between each addition and ensuring the stock has been absorbed before adding more. When you have a couple of ladlefuls left, add the grated beetroot, the remaining caraway seeds and the chicken.Cook for a further 5 minutes until the rice is cooked but still retains some bite. Stir through most of the parmesan, season, then serve scattered with the remaining parmesan.
Next time, instead of chicken, flake over a couple of hot-smoked trout fillets and finish with lots of chopped fresh dill
Rate & review
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...