Chilli chicken stir-fry with beans and thai basil
- July 2015
- Serves 2
- Hands-on time 20 min
A super-quick, super-tasty and nutritious stir-fry recipe, made with fresh Thai basil, by food writer Ghillie James.
- Dairy-free recipes
- 7.8g (5.3g saturated)
- 9.2g (5.5g sugars)
- 1 tbsp coconut, grapeseed or rapeseed oil
- 3 garlic cloves, sliced
- 2 red bird’s eye chillies, halved lengthways and widthways, deseeded, plus 1, sliced, to serve
- 2 medium free-range chicken breasts, sliced thinly against the grain
- 150g green beans, cut into 5cm lengths
- ½ onion, thinly sliced
- 5 tbsp chicken stock
- 3 spring onions, cut into 5cm lengths
- 1 tbsp oyster sauce
- 1 tsp reduced-salt soy sauce
- 1 tsp Thai fish sauce
- Pinch ground white pepper
- 12 fresh thai basil leaves (see know-how)
- Steamed rice or noodles to serve
- Heat the oil in a lidded wok or sauté pan, then add the garlic and halved chillies and stir-fry for 1-2 minutes over a medium heat to soften. Turn up the heat, add the chicken and stir-fry for 1-2 minutes until coloured all over. Add the beans and sliced onion and stir-fry for 2 minutes more.
- Add the chicken stock, cover the wok and leave to steam for 2 minutes. Stir in the spring onions and oyster, soy and fish sauces. Cook for 2 minutes more, then season with white pepper. Turn off the heat, add the basil leaves and sliced chilli, then serve immediately with rice or noodles.
Recipe taken from Asia Light by Ghillie James (RRP £15.99, Kyle Books)
Add unsalted cashew nuts for extra crunch.
Thai basil has a more aniseedy favour than Italian. If you can’t find it, use the smaller leaves of the latter.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Roast chicken thighs with garlic butter potatoes and tomato salad
A quick one pot chicken recipe with a refreshing tomato salad- perfect for midweek meals,...
Midweek meal recipes
Poached egg and new potato salad with crispy bacon
This easy, low-calorie recipe combines delicious potato salad with a delicately poached egg and salty,...
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...