- December 2011
- Serves 8
- Ready in 30 minutes
These spicy chilli-coated nuts are perfect for serving with drinks whenever you’ve got a houseful of guests.
Serve alongside one of our cracking cocktail recipes.
- 17.2g (3g saturated)
- 6.7g (3.9g sugars)
For the chilli-coated nuts
- 1 medium free-range egg white
- 200g mixed nuts, such as blanched almonds, cashews and walnuts
- 1 tbsp cornflour
- 1 tbsp mild or medium-hot chilli powder
- ½ tsp salt
For the sweet ‘n’ sticky nuts
- 200g mixed nuts, such as pistachios, cashews, almonds, hazelnuts
- Knob of unsalted butter
- 1 tbsp soft light brown sugar
- Generous pinch of cinnamon
- ½ tsp each ground cumin and hot smoked paprika
- 1 tbsp clear honey
- Maldon sea salt for sprinkling
- Preheat the oven to 160°C/fan140°C/gas 3. For the chilli-coated nuts, whisk the egg white in a bowl with 1 tbsp water until foamy. Add the nuts, then stir until coated. Tip into a sieve and drain well.
- In another bowl, mix the cornflour with the chilli powder and salt. Add the nuts, then toss until well coated.
- Put the nuts in a single layer on a baking sheet lined with baking paper, then cook for 20 minutes, tossing halfway through, until toasted. Set aside to cool.
- For the sweet ‘n’ sticky nuts, heat a non-stick frying pan over a medium-high heat. Tip in the nuts and toast for 3 minutes, then stir through the butter, sugar, spices and honey, tossing to coat.
- Stirring occasionally, let the sugar melt and start to caramelise for 2 minutes, then remove from the heat. Put the nuts on a sheet of baking paper and leave to cool slightly. Sprinkle with Maldon sea salt.
- Toss the nuts together or serve separately in bowls, warm or cold.
Store the finished, cooled nuts in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Sweet tart recipes
Whisky, walnut and brown butter tart with atholl brose ice cream
A rich, boozy, sticky, crunchy (and other good things) dessert. We’ve packed the flavours of...
Zahtar spiced nuts
This Lebanese-inspired recipe for herby, spiced nuts makes for an excellent nibble to have with...