Chilli corn bread
- November 2012
- Serves 8-10
- Takes 10 minutes to make, 40-45 minutes to cook
Corn bread is a classic southern American side dish. Our spiced version is quick and easy to make, and is perfect served warm.
- Vegetarian recipes
- 10.5g (5.1g saturated)
- 40.9g (3.1g sugars)
For 10 servings
- 60g unsalted butter, melted, plus extra for greasing
- 250g cornmeal or fine polenta, plus extra to dust
- 250g plain flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp fine sea salt
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 4 medium free-range eggs
- 300ml buttermilk
- 300ml whole milk
- 1 red chilli, deseeded and finely chopped
- Preheat the oven to 220°C/fan200°C/gas 7. Grease a 1 litre loaf tin with butter, then dust with the extra cornmeal/polenta. In a medium bowl, mix the dry ingredients and make a well in the centre.
- In another bowl, whisk the eggs with the buttermilk, milk and butter, then pour into the well in the dry ingredients and mix. Stir in the chilli, then scoop into the tin. Bake for 40-45 minutes until golden and starting to come away from the sides of the tin. Serve warm.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Savoury bread recipes
Potato and rosemary bread with beetroot and dill pickle
Take your lunch to the next level with home-made potato and rosemary bread served with...
Japanese milk rolls
These soft, slightly sweetened Japanese milk rolls make a delightful breakfast or afternoon treat. See...