Chilli steak with cajun wedges
- October 2011
- 320g pack Sainsbury’s Ready to Roast Butternut Squash & Sweet Potato, or similar
- ½ tsp Sainsbury’s Cajun Style Rub, or similar
- Olive oil for drizzling and brushing
- 70g Sainsbury’s Marinated Sun-dried Peppers in Sunflower Oil, drained (or use ready roasted peppers, from most supermarkets)
- 2 tsp ready diced chilli (or 1 small red chilli, diced)
- Bunch of fresh coriander, leaves chopped
- 50g butter, softened
- 2 sirloin or rump steaks
- Preheat the oven to 220°C/fan200°C/gas 7. Scatter the squash and sweet potato into a baking tray and sprinkle with salt, black pepper and the cajun rub. Drizzle with olive oil, then toss to coat. Roast in the oven for 30 minutes, turning occasionally, until tender and golden. Add the peppers for the last 5 minutes of cooking.
- Meanwhile mix the chilli, half the coriander and some seasoning into the butter. Spoon onto a piece of cling film and shape into a fat sausage, then put in the freezer. Heat a griddle pan until smoking. Brush the steaks with oil and season. Griddle the steaks for 2 minutes each side (for medium-rare) or longer if you prefer. Remove and set aside to rest, covered, for 5 minutes.
- Stir the remaining coriander through the veg. Remove the butter from the freezer and slice off two discs. Divide the meat and veg between warmed plates, topping each steak with a disc of chilli butter, then serve.
Keep leftover butter in the freezer and use slices of it on salmon fillets or pork steaks.
Rate & review
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...