Creole chicken wraps with US-style chopped salad
- June 2013
- Serves 6
- 40 min
These Creole chicken wraps with chopped salad will be a sure winner with all the family.
- 34.9g (10.3g saturated)
- 38.3g (4.8g sugar)
- 800g free-range chicken, sliced (we used thigh meat – breast is good too)
- ¾ tbsp Creole or Cajun seasoning
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 8 tortilla wraps to serve
For the salad
- ½ cucumber
- 100g radishes, roughly sliced
- 2 little gem lettuces, leaves torn
- 1 avocado, sliced
- 2 celery sticks, roughly chopped
- 100g toasted macadamia nuts
- 75g blue cheese, broken into chunks
For the dressing
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 150ml buttermilk
- 15g chives, finely chopped
- Toss the chicken in the seasoning, then add the oil and plenty of sea salt. Set aside.
- Split the cucumber lengthways, remove the seeds with a teaspoon, then roughly chop and put in a large bowl with all the salad ingredients. Mix the dressing ingredients, season, tip into the bowl and toss well. Tip onto a chopping board and chop until all the bits are around the same size (it’s easiest with a sharp knife in each hand). Taste and season, then chill.
- Heat a griddle or frying pan until smoking, then cook the chicken pieces for 2-3 minutes on each side until blackened and cooked through. If you have a gas hob, hold the wraps over the flame for 30 seconds on each side to puff up and blacken slightly. Otherwise, do this in a clean frying pan. Serve the chicken piled up with the salad and the wraps for everyone to dig into.
Don’t prepare the salad more than half an hour before serving – the veg will go soggy.
Rate & review