Devilled kidneys with Nordic mustard & Gentleman’s Relish
- October 2017
- Serves 6-8
- Hands-on time 30 min
Darren Broom’s griddled devilled kidneys in a creamy sauce sit proudly on a thick slice of chargrilled sourdough. The fiery Nordic mustard really brings this dish to life – it’s a brunch of kings.
- 25.5g (13.1g saturated)
- 20.3g (1.8g sugars)
- 1 sourdough loaf, cut into thick slices
- 1kg British beef kidneys (if you can’t find them, use lamb’s kidneys)
- Olive oil
- Chopped fresh parsley to serve
For the nordic mustard
- 30g yellow mustard seeds
- 30g brown mustard seeds
- 100ml good quality ale
- 2 tbsp runny honey
- 2 tsp cider vinegar
- 1 tsp salt
For the sauce
- 200ml double cream
- 2 tbsp Gentleman’s Relish anchovy paste
- 1 tsp Tabasco sauce
- 1 tbsp sherry vinegar
- 1 tbsp Nordic mustard
- 50g cold unsalted butter
- For the mustard, put all the ingredients into a blender and leave to soak for 30 minutes. Whizz until smooth, then transfer to a sterilised jar.
- Heat a griddle pan. When hot, griddle the sourdough slices for 1-2 minutes on each side until char marks appear, then set aside.
- Cut the kidneys in half lengthways. Season well and rub lightly with oil. Cook on the hot griddle pan until well seared on all sides (or for 6-8 minutes longer if you prefer them more well done) then transfer to a plate. Rest for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, make the sauce. Put the cream into a medium saucepan over a medium heat. When warm, add the rest of the sauce ingredients and whisk until well combined and the butter has melted.
- Once rested, cut the kidneys into bite-size pieces and add to the sauce along with any resting juices. Put the pan back over a low heat to warm the kidneys through. Season to taste, then serve on top of the chargrilled sourdough. Sprinkle with parsley and black pepper.
Keep leftover mustard ina sealed jar in the fridge for up to a month. To see how to sterilise jars go to deliciousmagazine.co.uk/videos/how-to-sterilise-jars/.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...