Grated beetroot and herb salad
- August 2015
- Serves 4-6
- Hands-on time 20 min
Earthy beetroot and sweet apple are tied together with fresh herbs and a fruity dressing.
- Vegetarian recipes
- 8g (1.1g saturated)
- 16.6g (15.5g sugars)
- 2 granny smith or pink lady apples, cored and thinly sliced
- Grated zest and juice 1 lemon
- 400g beetroot, grated
- 400g carrot, grated
- Large bunch each fresh flatleaf parsley and mint, leaves roughly chopped
- Small bunch fresh dill, roughly chopped
For the dressing
- Juice 1 orange
- Juice 1½ lemons
- ½ tsp caster sugar
- 4 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- Coat the apple in the lemon juice (see Make Ahead). Mix all the salad ingredients together in a large bowl.
- For the dressing, mix the citrus juices with the sugar in a small jug, then drizzle in the oil with some seasoning, whisking constantly. If you’re taking the salad with you, take the dressing separately and dress just before serving.
You can make this salad up to 12 hours in advance (don’t add the dressing until you’re just about to eat it); keep covered in the fridge. Make sure you really coat the apple in the lemon juice to prevent it from browning.
Rate & review