Grilled cheese sandwich
- March 2015
- 2 thick slices of chewy white bread, such as sourdough
- 100-150g cheese, we like a mixture of mature cheddar and edam
- Butter, for spreading
- English mustard, to serve
- Lay thick slices of chewy white bread on a board. Grate 100-150g good melting cheese per sandwich (or as much as you dare) – we like a mixture of mature cheddar and edam. Pack the cheese onto one slice of bread, top with the other and press down firmly.
- Heat a large frying pan over a medium-low heat. Generously butter the top of each sandwich, then lay them butter-side down in the frying pan. Press down using a fish slice and fry for 4-5 minutes until the underside is lightly toasted. Butter the tops, then flip the sandwiches and repeat.
- Grate a little more cheese over the tops and continue to flip the sandwiches every few minutes until the inside is completely melted and the outside crisp. Serve with English mustard and a cold beer.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...