Grilled spiced mackerel with creamy cucumber
- August 2008
- Serves 4
- Hands on time 30 mins, plus marinating
This fish recipe makes a wonderful family supper and is best served with the freshest mackerel.
- 42.1g (10g saturated)
- 5g (3.7g sugars)
- 4 mackerel (about 350g each), cleaned
- Juice of 1 large lemon
- 2 tsp garam masala
- 1 tsp chilli powder
- 2 tbsp natural yogurt
- 2 tbsp sunflower oil
- Lemon wedges, to serve
For the creamy cucumber
- 70g natural yogurt
- 100ml half-fat crème fraîche
- ¼ cucumber, peeled and roughly grated or finely diced
- Light the barbecue, if using. Cut 3 diagonal slashes into the skin on both sides of each fish. Mix together the lemon juice, garam masala, chilli powder, yogurt and a pinch of salt. Place the fish in a dish and rub with the marinade. Cover and chill for 20-30 minutes.
- To make the creamy cucumber, whisk the yogurt and crème fraîche in a bowl with a pinch of salt. Mix in the cucumber and, if necessary, thin with a little water. Season to taste.
- If you’re not using a charcoal barbecue, preheat 2 griddle pans or 1 large griddle pan over a medium heat (or preheat a gas barbecue to medium) and brush the grill or pan with the sunflower oil. Remove the mackerel from the marinade and barbecue or griddle for 8-10 minutes each side or until cooked through. Serve with lemon wedges, to squeeze over.
Rate & review