Ham hock and pea rice cakes
- March 2013
- 200g basmati rice
- 300ml hot chicken stock
- 100g shredded ham hock
- 150g frozen peas
- Zest of 1 lemon
- Bunch of fresh flatleaf parsley
- Dollop of crème fraîche
- 2 free-range eggs
- Greek yogurt
- Chopped fresh mint
- Cook 200g basmati rice in 300ml hot chicken stock, covered, for 8-10 minutes until tender.
- Drain, cool for 15 minutes, then mix with 100g shredded ham hock, 150g frozen peas, defrosted, the zest of 1 lemon and a good bunch of fresh flatleaf parsley, finely chopped.
- Season well, then mix in a good dollop of crème fraîche and 2 free-range eggs, beaten.
- Shallow-fry spoonfuls of the rice mix for 2-3 minutes on each side until crispy and golden (you may need to do this in batches, topping up the oil as you go).
- Serve as a starter or light main alongside Greek yogurt mixed with chopped fresh mint.
Rate & review
Subscribe to our magazine
Food lovers, treat yourself this Christmas... Enjoy 12 months of magazines for £29.99 – just £2.50 an issue.Subscribe
Unleash your inner chef
Looking for inspiration? Receive the latest recipes with our newsletter