Ham hock and pea rice cakes
- March 2013
- 200g basmati rice
- 300ml hot chicken stock
- 100g shredded ham hock
- 150g frozen peas
- Zest of 1 lemon
- Bunch of fresh flatleaf parsley
- Dollop of crème fraîche
- 2 free-range eggs
- Greek yogurt
- Chopped fresh mint
- Cook 200g basmati rice in 300ml hot chicken stock, covered, for 8-10 minutes until tender.
- Drain, cool for 15 minutes, then mix with 100g shredded ham hock, 150g frozen peas, defrosted, the zest of 1 lemon and a good bunch of fresh flatleaf parsley, finely chopped.
- Season well, then mix in a good dollop of crème fraîche and 2 free-range eggs, beaten.
- Shallow-fry spoonfuls of the rice mix for 2-3 minutes on each side until crispy and golden (you may need to do this in batches, topping up the oil as you go).
- Serve as a starter or light main alongside Greek yogurt mixed with chopped fresh mint.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Ham hock caesar salad
Substituting chicken for ham makes a nice change in this caesar salad recipe. Use ciabatta...
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...