Bacon and egg pie
- July 2016
- Serves 8
- Takes 40 min to make, 35-45 min to cook
This classic pastry-topped bacon and egg pie recipe is easy to make and ideal for a light lunch or as part of a buffet.
We also have a tomato-topped bacon and egg pie, which is lighter on the pastry.
- 35.3g (14.8g saturated)
- 28.1g (0.9g sugars)
- 1 tbsp sunflower oil
- 250g piece of smoked streaky bacon, cut into large lardons
- 2 shallots, finely chopped
- 7 medium free-range eggs
For the pastry
- 300g plain flour, plus extra for dusting
- 100g chilled butter, diced
- 75g lard
- 1 medium free-range egg yolk
- reheat the oven to 190°C/fan170°C/gas 5 with a baking sheet inside. Heat the oil in a large non-stick frying pan and fry the diced bacon. Remove with a slotted spoon, then fry the shallots for 5 minutes until soft and golden. Set aside with the bacon to cool.
- For the pastry, pulse the flour, a good pinch of salt, the butter and lard in a food processor until the mix resembles fine breadcrumbs. Add the yolk and enough cold water to bind. Knead on a lightly floured surface, then halve. Roll out one piece to the thickness of a pound coin, then use to line a greased 23cm shallow pie plate or tin. Leave any excess pastry to overhang.
- Scatter the bacon and shallots over the pastry base. Carefully break 6 of the eggs into the case, spacing them evenly.
- Roll out the rest of the pastry to make a lid. Beat the remaining egg and brush the edge of the case. Cover the filling with the pastry lid.
- Press the edges together, then trim. (You can use the trimmings to make leaf shapes, attaching them with beaten egg.) Use a fork to seal around the edge, then brush the top with beaten egg to glaze. Pierce a small hole in the centre of the pastry lid to let the steam escape.
- Bake on the hot sheet for 35-45 minutes until golden and cooked through. Test by inserting a skewer into the centre – there should be no raw egg on it. Leave to stand for at least 15 minutes before serving.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Deep-filled egg and bacon pie
This simple pie recipe works as a great weekend breakfast alternative or as a hearty...