Ham hock, avocado and herb salad
- August 2012
- Serves 4
- Ready in 12 min
Great tasting suppers don’t have to take a long time. This quick and easy meal can be on the table in 12 minutes.
- 30.7g (6g saturated)
- 16.1g (2g sugar)
- 3 thick sourdough slices
- 1 garlic clove, halved
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 ripe avocados, peeled and stoned
- 180g ready-cooked ham hock, shredded
- 100g bag herby salad (we like chervil, watercress, rocket and lamb’s lettuce)
- 1 tbsp cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp walnut oil
- 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh chives
- Rub the slices of sourdough with the garlic clove halves, discarding the remains, then cut the bread into bite-size cubes. In a frying pan, heat the oil and gently fry the sourdough cubes until crisp and golden. Season with sea salt and set aside.
- Meanwhile, slice the avocados and toss with the ham hock and herby salad leaves. Transfer to a serving bowl and scatter over the sourdough croutons.
- Whisk the vinegar with a pinch of sugar and some seasoning, then whisk in the walnut and olive oils. Pour the dressing over the salad, scatter with chives and serve.
Next time, use crumbled feta instead of the ham hock for a veggie alternative.
Rate & review