Ham hock, leek and bean casserole
- May 2012
- Knob of butter
- 2 leeks, sliced diagonally
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- A few fresh thyme sprigs, leaves picked
- 400g tin beef consommé
- 400g tin butterbeans, drained and rinsed
- 100g pack shredded ham hock
- 150g frozen or fresh broad beans, blanched, refreshed and skins removed
- Handful of fresh flatleaf parsley, finely chopped
- Melt the butter in a pan over a medium heat. Add the sliced leeks with a pinch of salt and cook for 5-8 minutes until soft. Stir through the garlic and thyme, then cook for a further minute. Stir in the consommé and butterbeans, then simmer gently for 5 minutes. Flake in the ham and continue to cook for another 5 minutes. Stir through the broad beans and most of the parsley.
- Taste and season, then divide between a couple of bowls. Sprinkle with the remaining parsley and serve with crusty bread
Replace the ham with crisp fried pancetta or sliced cooked chicken for a change of flavour.
Rate & review