Hazelnut and mint pesto
- March 2017
- Serves 4 with pasta or 6-8 as a dip or garnish
- Hands-on time 10 min
Dunk fresh prawns into this nutty pesto or stuff it under chicken skin before cooking. It’s also wonderful stirred through pasta for an easy weeknight dinner.
- 1 large handful of fresh basil leaves
- 1 large handful of fresh mint leaves
- 100g blanched hazelnuts (first toasted until lightly golden in a frying pan with a splash of oil, then allowed to cool)
- 60g parmesan (or vegetarian alternative), grated
- finely grated zest of 1 lemon
- a large pinch of salt
- 150ml olive oil
- the juice of 1 lemon
- In a food processor, whizz the fresh basil, mint, hazelnuts, parmesan (or vegetarian alternative), lemon zest a large pinch of salt. Once the mixture has the consistency of a rough paste, add the olive oil and lemon juice.
- Taste and add more salt or lemon juice and some black pepper. Serve right away, or put in an airtight container and keep in the fridge for up to 5 days. Cover with a little more oil if you’re keeping it for longer than 24 hours.
Stir through pasta for a simple lunch, dollop onto white fish or grilled chicken, or dunk freshly cooked prawns into it. It’s also wonderful as a topping for pan-fried scallops. Stir into a little mascarpone and stuff under the skin of chicken thighs before roasting them for an easy supper.
Rate & review