Honey-glazed chicken with caramelised chicory
- June 2013
- 4 free-range chicken breasts, skin on
- 3 tbsp clear honey
- Juice of 2 lemons
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Pinch of chilli flakes
- 35g butter
- 2 tbsp caster sugar
- 4 red chicory, halved lengthways
- 80g sourdough bread, whizzed into breadcrumbs
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- Fresh parsley, roughly chopped
- Heat the oven to 200°C/fan180°C/gas 6. Put the chicken in a bowl and toss with the honey, half the lemon juice, the olive oil and the chilli. Cover with cling film and marinate for 20 minutes, then remove from the marinade and season.
- Heat a frying pan over a high heat and sear the chicken breasts skin-side down for 2-3 minutes until golden. Turn over and cook for a minute on the other side, then bake on a baking sheet for 15-20 minutes until cooked through (the juices will run clear when the meat is pierced in the thickest part).
- Meanwhile, add the butter and sugar to the cleaned frying pan over a medium heat. When the sugar begins to caramelise, add the chicory heads, cut-side down, and cook over a medium heat for 3-4 minutes until the cut sides are golden and caramelised. Flip over, squeeze over the remaining lemon juice and cook for 6-8 minutes until tender. Remove from the pan with tongs, leaving the juices, and put on a warmed plate.
- Tip the breadcrumbs into the pan, toss to coat in the juices, then cook on a medium heat, stirring frequently, for 3-4 minutes until browned and golden, adding the garlic for the last 2 minutes. Mix in the parsley.
- When the chicken is done, slice each breast into thirds and serve with 2 chicory halves, topped with the breadcrumbs. It’s great with a green salad and crusty bread.
Using sourdough bread adds taste and texture – far better than breadcrumbs made from regular white bread.
Rate & review
Subscribe to our magazine
Food lovers, treat yourself this Christmas... Enjoy 12 months of magazines for £29.99 – just £2.50 an issue.Subscribe
Unleash your inner chef
Looking for inspiration? Receive the latest recipes with our newsletter