Individual potato and lamb pies
- November 2009
- Serves 6
- Takes 20 minutes to make, 45 minutes to cook, plus cooling, defrosting and reheating
These individual lamb and rosemary hotpots are hearty and warming. They can also be frozen – perfect for a last minute winter meal.
- 20.4g (8.9g saturated)
- 25.2g (5.7g sugars)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1kg lamb neck, cubed
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 3 carrots, thickly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp plain flour
- 500ml lamb stock, hot
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce, or to taste
- 2 fresh rosemary sprigs, leaves finely chopped
- 500g waxy potatoes, thinly sliced
- 30g butter
- Preheat the oven to 190°C/fan170°C/gas 5. Heat the oil in a large, heavy-based casserole, season the lamb and fry, in batches, over a high heat until golden brown. Remove with a slotted spoon.
- Turn the heat to medium, add the onion and carrots and fry for 5 minutes. Add the garlic and fry for another minute. Stir in the flour and cook for 1 minute more, then return the lamb to the pan with the stock, Worcestershire sauce and rosemary. Season and bring to the boil. Cover with a lid, turn the heat to low and simmer for 30 minutes until the lamb is tender.
- Divide the lamb mixture between 6 individual pie dishes, cover with the potatoes and dot with butter. Season well, cover the dishes with foil and bake for 20 minutes, then turn the oven up to 200°C/fan180°C/gas 6, remove the foil and bake for another 25 minutes until golden brown.
- Cool, cover with cling film and foil, and freeze for up to 3 months.
- Remove the cling film and foil, then defrost fully. Preheat the oven to 200°C/fan180°C/gas 6 and cook for 30 minutes, covered in foil, then for 5 minutes, uncovered, until bubbling-hot.
You can also make this in a large, shallow ovenproof dish. Bake, covered in foil, for 30 minutes, then remove the foil and bake for 20 minutes more. Freeze and reheat as in step 5.
Rate & review
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...