Jamaican rice and peas
- September 2013
- Serves 10 as a side dish
- Hands on 15 minutes, cooking 65–80 minutes, plus overnight soaking
For a side dish with traditional Jamaican flavours, try Ghillie James’ easy recipe for fiery rice and peas.
- Vegetarian recipes
- 8.7g (6.8g saturated)
- 47.2g (2.1g sugars)
- 200g dried red kidney beans
- 100g creamed coconut (bought in a block), finely chopped
- 500g basmati rice
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 4 spring onions, chopped
- 1 tbsp butter
- 3 fresh thyme sprigs
- 1 medium scotch bonnet chilli, whole (optional)
- 1½ tsp salt
- 1½ tsp ground pepper
- Wash and soak the dried beans overnight in plenty of cold water. The next day, discard the water and transfer the beans to a medium heavy-based pan. Add 800ml water, cover and cook the beans over a medium heat for 45-60 minutes until tender, stirring occasionally and adding more water if the beans start to catch. Drain, then return to the pan and season. Add the creamed coconut and stir until dissolved.
- Put the rice in a sieve and rinse until the water runs almost clear. Add the rice to the beans with the onion, spring onions, butter, thyme, whole scotch bonnet chilli (if using), and seasoning. Add enough water to cover by 5cm.
- Bring the mixture to the boil over a high heat, then reduce the heat to low, cover and simmer for 20 minutes or until all the water has been absorbed. If the mixture is still not cooked, make a well in the middle with the handle of a wooden spoon, add another 4 tbsp water, cover again and cook on a low heat. Repeat until cooked. Ensure the Scotch bonnet is not disturbed – it’s best to remove it carefully if visible at this stage. If not, remove it before you serve the rice; use a spoon, as the pepper will disintegrate. Season to taste, then serve.
If you don’t have time to soak and cook dried beans, 2 x 400g tins kidney beans, drained and rinsed, will help greatly. Simply stir them into the rice in step 2.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Trinidad’s signature mildly spiced dish of chicken pelau is a tasty one-pot meal, filled with...