Kohlrabi and sweet potato rösti with maple bacon and lime avocado
- June 2017
- Serves 4
- Hands-on time 50 min
Kohlrabi adds a light, peppery flavour to Vladia Cobrdova’s crunchy sweet potato röstis. Piled high with sweet maple bacon and minty mashed avocado, these make a fabulous brunch.
- 40g (11.6g saturated)
- 36.7g (14.8g sugars)
- 4 medium free-range eggs
- 90g chia seeds
- 175g kohlrabi, peeled and grated
- 260g sweet potato, peeled and grated
- 2 spring onions, thinly sliced
- 2 kale leaves, stalks removed, finely chopped
- 4 streaky bacon rashers, cut into thirds
- 60ml maple syrup
- 2 avocados, flesh scooped out
- Finely grated zest and juice 1 lime
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh mint leaves
- 2 tbsp ghee or coconut oil
- Heat the oven to 160°C/140°C fan/ gas 3. Put the eggs, chia, kohlrabi, sweet potato, spring onions and kale in a large bowl; stir to combine well. Leave for 10 minutes to allow the chia to absorb the moisture, then season with salt and pepper.
- Meanwhile, lay the bacon on a baking sheet lined with non-stick baking paper, brush both sides with syrup, then bake for 15 minutes.
- Coarsely mash the avocado flesh in a bowl with the lime zest and juice and the mint. Season, then set aside.
- Heat the ghee/coconut oil in a large frying pan over a high heat. Working in 3 batches, drop in 4 heaped spoonfuls of the rösti mixture and cook for 4 minutes on each side until golden, pressing down lightly. Drain on kitchen paper. Top the rösti with the avo mash and bacon, then serve.
Keep the cooked rösti warm in a low oven while you fry the rest.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Easy warm roast cauliflower, sweet potato and quinoa salad
Make the most of winter vegetables in this warming cauliflower, sweet potato and quinoa recipe....