Kohlrabi and sweet potato rösti with maple bacon and lime avocado
- June 2017
- Serves 4
- Hands-on time 50 min
Kohlrabi adds a light, peppery flavour to Vladia Cobrdova’s crunchy sweet potato röstis. Piled high with sweet maple bacon and minty mashed avocado, these make a fabulous brunch.
- 40g (11.6g saturated)
- 36.7g (14.8g sugars)
- 4 medium free-range eggs
- 90g chia seeds
- 175g kohlrabi, peeled and grated
- 260g sweet potato, peeled and grated
- 2 spring onions, thinly sliced
- 2 kale leaves, stalks removed, finely chopped
- 4 streaky bacon rashers, cut into thirds
- 60ml maple syrup
- 2 avocados, flesh scooped out
- Finely grated zest and juice 1 lime
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh mint leaves
- 2 tbsp ghee or coconut oil
- Heat the oven to 160°C/140°C fan/ gas 3. Put the eggs, chia, kohlrabi, sweet potato, spring onions and kale in a large bowl; stir to combine well. Leave for 10 minutes to allow the chia to absorb the moisture, then season with salt and pepper.
- Meanwhile, lay the bacon on a baking sheet lined with non-stick baking paper, brush both sides with syrup, then bake for 15 minutes.
- Coarsely mash the avocado flesh in a bowl with the lime zest and juice and the mint. Season, then set aside.
- Heat the ghee/coconut oil in a large frying pan over a high heat. Working in 3 batches, drop in 4 heaped spoonfuls of the rösti mixture and cook for 4 minutes on each side until golden, pressing down lightly. Drain on kitchen paper. Top the rösti with the avo mash and bacon, then serve.
Keep the cooked rösti warm in a low oven while you fry the rest.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Sweet potato recipes
Crispy-skinned chicken breasts with baked sweet potatoes and chipotle cream
We’ve used chipotle to make the cream in this healthy chicken dish, but feel free...
Vegan dinner recipes
Sweet potato and jalapeño scones with gravy and maple mushrooms
”A take on the US diner classic biscuits and gravy, where the biscuits are similar...