Leek puff pastry tart
- December 2006
- Makes 2 meals, each serving 4
- Takes about 50 minutes to make and 20-25 minutes in the oven
This recipe is for two tarts, so you can freeze one for a busy day. Enjoy this vegetarian leek dish for lunch or dinner.
- Vegetarian recipes
- 50.9g (29.3g saturated)
- 40.2g (12.8g sugar)
- 100g butter
- 600g shallots, halved
- 4 large red onions, cut into wedges
- 6 leeks, trimmed, washed and thickly sliced
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- Several sprigs fresh thyme, leaves picked, plus extra to garnish
- 200ml white wine
- 200ml vegetable stock, hot
- 1½ tbsp caster sugar
- 500g pack fresh puff pastry, halved
- Flour, for dusting
- 2 x 200g packs full-fat cream cheese
- 1 egg, beaten, for brushing
- Heat the butter in a large, deep frying pan over a medium heat. Add the shallots and red onions and cook, stirring occasionally, for 6-8 minutes. Add the leeks, garlic and thyme and cook for a further 6-8 minutes, until softened. Add the wine, bring to the boil and cook for 1 minute. Add the stock and sugar and simmer rapidly for 12-15 minutes, stirring occasionally or until the vegetables are just tender and the liquid has evaporated. Season and tip into a large bowl to cool slightly.
- Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 220°C/fan200°C/gas 7. Roll out half the pastry on a lightly floured surface into a large, thin circle. Transfer to a baking sheet. Repeat with the remaining pastry and place on another baking sheet. Season the cream cheese and mix until smooth. Spread half over each pastry circle, leaving a 5cm border all around.
- Divide the vegetables between the pastry circles. Brush the border with beaten egg, then fold up and just over the vegetables, so most are still exposed. Brush the pastry edge with egg. Set 1 aside to cool, then freeze (see freezing tip).
- Bake the other tart for 20-25 minutes or until the pastry has risen and is deep golden. Scatter with thyme and cut into quarters to serve.
To freeze and reheat: Freeze 1 tart, covered, for up to 1 month. Thaw in the fridge overnight, then bake at 220°C/fan200°C/gas 7 for 25 minutes, until golden and piping hot.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Pearl barley recipes
Chicken, leek and pearl barley stew with parsley dumplings
This stew is the perfect winter warmer. The herb dumplings and pearl barley mean you...