- July 2013
- Serves 6
- Takes 20 minutes to make, 35 minutes to cook
A classic from the American south, this tasty rice dish is made with chicken, prawns and smoked sausages.
- 13.3g (1.4g saturated)
- 49.9g (7.4g sugars)
For 6 servings
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 4 free-range chicken thighs, skin on and bone in
- 3 celery sticks, finely sliced
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 green peppers, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 tbsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1½ tbsp paprika (not smoked)
- 2 bay leaves
- 400g tin plum tomatoes
- 1 tsp caster sugar
- 300g good-quality smoked sausages (we used Montbeliard sausages from Reflets de France, from ocado.com), sliced
- 300g long grain rice, rinsed
- 3 fresh thyme sprigs
- 500ml good-quality chicken stock, hot
- 200g responsibly sourced raw king prawns, de-veined
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 4 spring onions, finely sliced
- Put a sauté pan over a medium heat and add the oil. Season the chicken thighs on both sides, then place them skin-side down in the pan. Cook for 7-8 minutes until the skin is golden, then turn over and cook for another 3-4 minutes. Remove from the pan with a slotted spoon and set aside.
- Add the celery, onion and peppers to the pan and cook over a medium heat for 5 minutes until softened and golden. Add the garlic, oregano, cayenne and paprika, then cook for 2-3 minutes more. Add the bay leaves, plum tomatoes, sugar and sliced sausage, then cook for 2 minutes more until well combined. Add the rice, thyme and stock, then return the chicken to the pan skin-side up, pushed into the rice. Season and bring to a gentle simmer. Cover the pan with a lid and bubble gently for 20-25 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the rice is almost cooked.
- About 5 minutes before the end of the cooking time, remove the chicken from the pan and shred with a couple of forks (discard the skin if you want). Return the chicken meat to the pan with the king prawns and cook for another 3-4 minutes until the prawns have turned pink. Squeeze in the lemon juice to taste, scatter with spring onions, check the seasoning and serve immediately.
Rate & review