Medjool date, honey and macadamia breakfast loaf
- July 2018
- Makes 1 large 2-kg/4lb 8-oz loaf or 2 smaller ones
- Hands-on time 15 minutes, oven time 55 mins
This honey cake by Honey & Co. co-owners, Sarit Packer & Itamar Srulovich, is filled with toffee-sweet medjool dates and buttery macadamia nuts for extra richness.
For the cake
- 150ml/51⁄4fl oz/scant 2⁄3 cup full-fat milk
- 110g/4oz/1⁄3 cup honey – use a high-quality, raw honey for best results
- 50g/13⁄4oz salted butter
- 280g/10oz/2 heaped cups self-raising flour
- 200g/7oz/1 cup sugar
- Zest of 1 orange
- Skin of 1 clementine, finely chopped
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground nutmeg
- 200g/7oz/scant 11⁄4 cups medjool dates, pitted and roughly cut
- 130g/41⁄2oz/1 cup macadamia nuts
- 2 eggs
For the topping
- 50g/13⁄4oz/1⁄3 cup macadamia nuts
- 2 tbsp demerara sugar
- Heat your oven to 180°C/160°C fan/350°F/gas mark 4. Line your loaf tin(s) with a sheet of baking paper.
- Place the milk, honey and butter in a small pan and heat gently until the butter has melted. In the meantime, mix the rest of the ingredients apart from the eggs in a large bowl. Pour in the melted butter mixture and use a large spoon to stir until just combined. Add the eggs and stir again until fully combined.
- Transfer to the baking tin, top with the macadamia nuts and sprinkle with the demerara sugar. Bake in the centre of the oven for 30 minutes.
- Open the oven and rotate the cake for an even bake, then leave for a further 20–25 minutes. It should feel lovely and bouncy when you press it. If you are using two smaller tins, they will bake in a shorter time – I would rotate them after 20 minutes and then leave for another 20 minutes to bake fully.
Recipe from Honey & Co. At Home: Middle Eastern recipes from our kitchen by Sarit Packer & Itamar Srulovich (Pavilion Books). Photography by Patricia Niven.
Rate & review
Subscribe to our magazine
Unleash your inner chef
Looking for inspiration? Receive the latest recipes with our newsletter