One-pan roast chicken
- March 2013
- Serves 6
- Takes 10 minutes to make, 1 hour 20 minutes to cook
Cheap, simple and delicious. Using seasonal ingredients this roast chicken makes a warming supper, perfect for all the family.
- Dairy-free recipes
- 8.3g (1.7g saturated)
- 28.5g (5.7g sugars)
- 750g potatoes, unpeeled, cut into chunks
- 2 parsnips, cut into quarters or eighths if large
- 2 beetroot, cut into wedges
- 2 red onions, cut into wedges
- 1 lemon, cut into wedges
- ½ garlic bulb, cloves unpeeled
- Few fresh thyme sprigs, leaves picked
- Good glug of olive oil or rapeseed oil
- 2kg free-range chicken
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/fan 180°C/gas 6. Put all the vegetables in a large roasting tin. Add the lemon, garlic and thyme, then toss with oil and seasoning. Season the chicken and place on top of the vegetables, then roast for 50-60 minutes until the chicken is cooked (the juices will run clear when you pierce the thick part of the thigh with a skewer).
- Remove the chicken to a board and return the veg to the oven to crisp up. Leave the chicken to rest somewhere warm under foil for 15-20 minutes, then carve enough meat for 4-6. Serve the chicken with the roasted vegetables and any cooking juices
Keep the chicken carcass and use it to make chicken stock.
Rate & review