- February 2008
- Serves 4
- Ready in 1¼ hours
A comforting, family-friendly one-pot chilli recipe that can be made for dinner and enjoyed for lunch the next day too.
- 28.3g (2.9g saturated)
- 45.2g (4.5g sugar)
- 1 tbsp sunflower oil
- 1 large red onion, chopped
- 1 celery stick, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tbsp smoked paprika
- 1kg good minced beef
- 400g can aduki beans, drained
- 400g can pinto or borlotti beans, drained
- 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 600ml chicken or beef stock
- 2 squares dark chocolate (we like Green & Black’s Maya Gold)
- 450g cooked long-grain rice,
- 50g salted tortilla chips and
- A large handful grated mature cheddar, to serve
- Heat the oil in a large pan and cook the onion, celery and garlic for 5 minutes, until softened. Add the cayenne, cumin seeds and paprika and cook for 1 minute more.
- Stir in the beef, beans, tomatoes and stock. Bring to the boil, cover and simmer gently for 1 hour. Stir in the chocolate. Check the seasoning.
- Serve the chilli with the boiled rice and the tortilla chips. Sprinkle with all the grated cheese.
Rate & review