- February 2017
- Serves 2
- Hands-on time 15 min, oven time 35-40 min
Top leftover braised beef and vegetable stew with a light, scone-like mixture and turn the weekend’s leftovers into an easy weeknight dinner.
- 25.9g (11.3g saturated)
- 60g (13.3g sugars)
- half a batch of this red wine braised beef and vegetable stew
- 100-150ml beef stock
For the topping
- 100g plain flour
- ½ tsp baking powder
- a pinch of salt
- 25g unsalted butter
- 90ml buttermilk
- a handful of finely chopped chives
You’ll also need
- 1 litre ovenproof dish
- Heat the oven to 200°C/180°C fan/gas 6. To make the cobbler topping, put the flour, baking powder and a pinch of salt in a mixing bowl and stir together. Add the unsalted butter then, using your fingertips, rub in until the mixture has a coarse, sandy texture. Mix in 90ml buttermilk and a handful of finely chopped chives, then bring together into a soft, sticky dough.
- Pour the half-batch of stew into a saucepan with the beef stock (the cobbler will soak up a lot of the extra liquid). Gently heat through, then transfer to a 1 litre ovenproof dish and dollop small spoonfuls of the topping haphazardly over the beef. Brush the tops with a little more buttermilk.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes until bubbling and the topping is cooked through. Check after 30 minutes; if it’s browning too much, cover with foil.
Rate & review