Orange, quince and almond torte with quince
- November 2007
- Serves 8
- Takes 45 minutes to make, 35-40 minutes in the oven, plus cooling
The almond flavour is wonderfully complemented by the sharpness of the orange, and the quince gives this dessert recipe an extra special quality.
- 54.7g (21.6g saturated)
- 57.1g (42g sugar)
- 270g unsalted butter, softened, plus extra for greasing
- 290g caster sugar
- 4 quince
- 5 tbsp orange blossom water
- 6 medium eggs
- 115g plain flour
- Good pinch of baking powder
- 300g ground almonds
- 3 oranges, zest finely grated, pith removed and flesh cut into wedges
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/fan160°C/ gas 4. Grease and line the base and sides of a deep, 23cm round, loose-bottomed cake tin with the extra butter and some baking paper.
- Put 240g of the sugar and 150ml water in a wide pan over a low heat, stirring to dissolve. Increase the heat, bring to the boil and cook for 4-5 minutes, until syrupy. Reduce the heat. Peel, core and cut the quince into eighths, add to the syrup with 3 tablespoons orange blossom water and poach for 8-10 minutes or until tender. Using a slotted spoon, transfer half the quince to the cake tin, spreading evenly across the base. Set aside the pan with the remaining quince and syrup.
- Put the butter and remaining sugar in a large bowl and, using an electric hand whisk, cream until fluffy. Beat in the eggs, 1 at a time, adding a little of the flour to stop the mixture curdling. Using a large metal spoon, fold in the remaining flour, baking powder, almonds and orange zest.
- Spoon the mixture into the cake tin, levelling the surface. Bake for 35-40 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. Cool in the tin for 10 minutes, then remove and upturn onto a plate, so the quince layer is on top.
- Reheat the quince and syrup over a medium heat for 10 minutes, until the quince start to colour and the syrup is reduced. Stir in the orange wedges, remaining orange blossom water and 1 tablespoon water and stir for 1 minute. Cool slightly.
- Cut the torte into generous wedges and put on serving plates. Spoon the warm orange and quince topping over the cake to serve.
Rate & review
Subscribe to our magazine
Food lovers, treat yourself this Christmas... Enjoy 12 months of magazines for £29.99 – just £2.50 an issue.Subscribe
Unleash your inner chef
Looking for inspiration? Receive the latest recipes with our newsletter