Pear and blackberry cobbler
- October 2005
- Serves 6
- Hands on time 20 mins, plus 40 mins baking time
This pear and blackberry cobbler recipe is an American-style dessert, halfway between a crumble and a pie. Serve with double cream for true indulgence.
- 11g (6.6g saturated)
- 72.2g (48.2g sugars)
- 500g pears, peeled, cored and cut into wedges
- 400g blackberries
- 200g golden caster sugar
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- 1 tbsp cornflour
- 175g self-raising flour
- 75g chilled unsalted butter, cubed
- 125ml buttermilk or wholemilk natural yogurt
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/fan180°C/gas 6. Pile the pears and blackberries into an ovenproof dish about 26cm x 18cm. Sprinkle over 50g sugar, the cinnamon and the cornflour. Gently stir together to mix.
- Put the flour in a food processor, add the butter and 100g sugar, and whizz for a few seconds until crumbs form. Add the buttermilk and whizz briefly until a squidgy dough forms.
- Scatter clumps of the dough over the fruit – don’t cover completely. Sprinkle the rest of the sugar over and bake for 40 minutes, or until the fruit is tender and the topping pale-golden.
Particularly gorgeous hot and served with cream.
Rate & review