Pepper and dill salmon fishcakes
- October 2011
- 240g Marks & Spencer Fresh & Prepared Butternut Squash, or similar
- 100g baby spinach leaves
- 2 x 115g packs Marks & Spencer Arbroath Hot Smoked Lochmuir Salmon Flakes, or similar
- 1 tbsp plain flour
- 25g fresh breadcrumbs
- 1 free-range egg, lightly beaten
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 tbsp avocado oil
- 1 tsp lemon juice, plus wedges
- 61g pack Marks & Spencer Aromatic Salad with Mizuna, Baby Pak Choi & Edible Flowers, or similar
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/fan180°C/gas 6. Cook the squash until tender in the microwave in a bowl of boiling water according to pack instructions. Tip into another bowl, season and mash with a fork. Set aside to cool a little. Wilt the spinach by putting it in a sieve and pouring over boiling water. Rinse under cold water to refresh, then squeeze gently to remove excess water. Stir the salmon flakes, wilted spinach, flour and breadcrumbs into the mashed squash.
- Season, then add just enough egg to bind (about ½). Shape into 4 cakes and chill for 5 minutes. Heat the oil in a large sauté pan. Fry the cakes for 2 minutes on each side until golden, then transfer to the oven for 8 minutes or until cooked through. Mix the avocado oil with the lemon juice, season and use to dress the salad. Serve the fishcakes alongside the dressed salad with lemon wedges.
The salmon flakes and squash can be replaced with any leftover fish and mashed potato.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Quick smoked salmon and dill fishcakes with chicory
For when you’re in need of comfort food fast –...
Subscribe to our magazine
Food stories, skills and tested recipes, straight to your door... Enjoy 5 issues for just £5 with our special introductory offer.Subscribe
Unleash your inner chef
Looking for inspiration? Receive the latest recipes with our newsletter