Pho’s Vietnamese Chicken Salad
- August 2010
- Serves 2
- 60 min
This Vietnamese chicken salad recipe is a popular choice at Pho’s café-style London and Brighton restaurants. The fresh, spicy flavours are pure Asian.
- Dairy-free recipes
- 2/3 of a cooked chicken breast, shredded
- 40g celery, julienned
- 190g white cabbage, julienned
- 20g red onion, julienned
- 30g red & yellow peppers, julienned
- A large handful of mixed fresh herbs: Rau ram, Tia to (if available), Coriander, Thai basil
- Two cups of carrot and mooli pickle
- 2 tbsp of ginger vinaigrette dressing with a pinch of salt and pepper
- 2 tbsp of fried garlic
- 2 tbsp of fried shallots
For the ginger dressing
- 10 cm fresh ginger, peeled and finely chopped
- 4 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 4 Thai red chillies, deseeded and chopped
- 2 tbsp fish sauce
- 1 tbsp of vinegar
- Salt and sugar to taste
For the carrot and mooli pickle
- 460g carrot
- 460g mooli (white radish)
- 1 tsp salt
- 660ml water
- 120ml rice vinegar
- 4 tbsp white sugar
- For the pickle, place the rice vinegar, sugar and water into a pan and bring to the boil. As soon as boils allow it to cool to room temperature.
- Julienne the carrot and the mooli to matchstick thickness. Place together in a sieve and mix. Sprinkle with salt and allow to stand for at least 30 minutes. This will draw some of the liquid out of the vegetables. Place the sieve over a bowl to catch and drips.
- Rinse the vegetables under cold water to remove the salt and squeeze dry in a clean towel. Place in a clean bowl and pour over the vinegar solution and allow to stand for at least one hour before serving.
- To serve remove pickled vegetables from the vinegar. Any extra can be left in the liquid and stored in a sealed container in the fridge for around 3 days.
- For the dressing, blend ginger, chilli & garlic. Add fish sauce and vinegar a little at a time until you reach a fairly thick consistency. Season to taste with salt and sugar. This dressing is spicy and powerful.
- For the salad, mix the herbs and chicken with drizzle of ginger vinaigrette dressing to taste.
- Add the other ingredients and turn over about 3 times to coat using a large spoon. Do not over-turn the salad. Serve immediately with the ginger dressing on the side (to be added when eating) and Serve immediately with ginger dressing on the side to be added when eating and topped with the roasted shallots and fried garlic.
Rate & review