Pot-roast cider chicken with creamy onions and gem lettuce
- May 2008
- Serves 4
- Takes 15 minutes to make and 1½ hours to roast
Cooking chicken in this way ensures maximum moistness, yet gives a crispy skin. And there’s no need to make gravy!
- 32.7g (17.8g saturated)
- 11.3g (8.9g sugars)
- 1.5kg whole free-range chicken
- 330ml dry cider
- 2 large onions, sliced
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme, leaves picked
- 142ml pot double cream
- 4 little gem lettuce hearts, quartered
- Mashed potato, to serve
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/fan180°C/gas 6. Put the chicken in a large casserole, pour over the cider and stir in the onions and thyme. Season, cover and roast for 45 minutes.
- Uncover the chicken and roast for a further 45 minutes, until golden on top and cooked through. Transfer the bird to a plate to rest for 5 minutes.
- Put the casserole on the hob over a low heat and pour in the cream to warm through. Add the lettuce, cover and cook gently for 3-4 minutes, until the lettuce is tender. Season to taste.
- Carve the chicken and serve with the lettuce, pan juices and some mashed potatoes.
Replace the little gem lettuce with peas, if you like.
Rate & review
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...