Potato and mushroom persillade
- November 2011
- Serves 2
- Takes 15 minutes to make, 25 minutes to cook
A potato and mushroom persillade recipe can easily be made vegetarian with butter instead of goose fat.
- 35.8g (15.2g saturated)
- 32.3g (3.6g sugars)
- 350g peeled floury potatoes, such as king edward, cut into 5-6mm slices
- 5 tbsp duck or goose fat (or see tip for a vegetarian alternative)
- 1 small onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 15g fresh flatleaf parsley leaves
- 2 small garlic cloves
- 300g mushrooms, cleaned and thickly sliced if large
- Drop the potatoes into a pan of boiling salted water and simmer for 4 minutes until just tender when pierced with the tip of a sharp knife. Drain well and, when they’ve dried a little, return them to the pan. Shake the pan gently to roughen up the edges slightly.
- Heat 3 tbsp of the duck or goose fat (or 25g butter and 1½ tbsp olive oil) in a large, non-stick frying pan. Add the potatoes and fry over a medium-high heat, turning them as they colour, for 10-15 minutes until crisp and golden brown.
- While they’re cooking, heat another tablespoon of the duck/goose fat (or 15g butter and 1½ tsp oil) in a small non-stick frying pan, add the onion and fry gently for 10 minutes or until lightly golden brown. Meanwhile, put the parsley leaves and garlic on a board and finely chop together.
- Tip the potatoes into the pan with the onions, mix them together well, then leave to cook gently for 2-3 minutes. Heat the remaining duck/goose fat (or butter and oil) in the now empty frying pan over a high heat, add the mushrooms and some seasoning, then fry for 2-3 minutes, turning, until lightly coloured on both sides.
- Add the potatoes and onions to the mushrooms, along with the chopped parsley and garlic mixture, then toss everything together briefly over a high heat. Season to taste and serve, topped with a fried egg if you wish.
You can make this dish vegetarian – and reduce the amount of saturated fat – by replacing the duck fat with 50g butter and 2½ tbsp olive oil.
Rate & review
Subscribe to our magazine
Food lovers, treat yourself this Christmas... Enjoy 12 months of magazines for £29.99 – just £2.50 an issue.Subscribe
Unleash your inner chef
Looking for inspiration? Receive the latest recipes with our newsletter