Quick harissa lamb and red onions with herby quinoa
- January 2013
- Serves 4
- Ready in 20 minutes
If there are any leftovers from this quick lamb with quinoa supper, you can have it for lunch the next day.
- Dairy-free recipes
- Gluten-free recipes
- 38.1g (7.6g saturated)
- 47.7g (10.4g sugars)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 red onions, cut into wedges
- 500g lamb leg or neck fillet, cut into strips
- 2 tbsp rose harissa (we like Belazu)
- Zest and juice of 1 lemon
- 200ml chicken stock
- 2 x 250g packs ready-to-eat quinoa
- 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 3-4 roasted red peppers, sliced
- 50g toasted pine nuts
- Bunch of fresh coriander, roughly chopped
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan over a medium heat and cook the onions for 2-3 minutes until starting to caramelise. Remove and set aside. Season the lamb, put in the pan the onions were cooked in, then cook over a medium heat until browned all over. Return the onions to the pan. Stir through the harissa, lemon zest and chicken stock, then bring to a gentle simmer. Cook for 10 minutes or so until the lamb is cooked through and the liquid has thickened slightly.
- Meanwhile, heat the quinoa according to the pack instructions. When it’s ready, fluff up the grains with a fork, then stir through the extra-virgin olive oil, lemon juice, roasted red pepper slices, pine nuts and fresh coriander. Taste the lamb and season if needed. Serve the lamb with bowls of the quinoa.
Mix other antipasti through the quinoa, depending on what you have in your storecupboard. Items such as artichokes from a jar, griddled aubergines and sun-blush tomatoes would all work well with the lamb.
If you have any leftovers, the quinoa makes a great lunchbox addition for the next day.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Orange-scented quinoa salad with pistachios and dates
Serve this vegan quinoa salad as part of a buffet at your next party.