Lemon cumin lamb kebabs
- April 2009
- Serves 4
- Takes 45 minutes to make, 4-6 minutes to cook, plus marinating
A zingy lamb dish which will make the perfect family supper or lunch at the weekend.
- 23.7g (8.5g saturated)
- 50.1g (8.8g sugars)
- Juice of 1 lemon, plus lemon wedges to garnish
- 2 garlic cloves, finely diced
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- ½ tsp cayenne pepper
- 3 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 425g lean lamb fillet
- 2 red onions, cut into large dice
- 100g mixed salad leaves, including British spinach
- 4 spring onions, finely sliced
- ¾ cucumber, peeled, halved and finely sliced
- 200g natural Greek yogurt
- 4 medium pittas or flatbreads
- Set aside ½ tbsp lemon juice and put the rest in a bowl. Add the garlic, cumin, cayenne pepper and 2 tbsp olive oil. Cut the lamb into 2.5cm dice and mix into the marinade. Cover and chill in the fridge until needed.
- Preheat a griddle pan over a high heat. Season the lamb with salt and thread onto 8 skewers (if using wooden skewers, soak in water for 20 minutes before threading to prevent burning), alternating cubes of meat with onion squares. Cook in the griddle pan for 4-6 minutes, turning often, until medium rare.
- Place the salad leaves, spring onions and cucumber in a large bowl and toss together with the set aside lemon juice and remaining olive oil. Place the yogurt into a separate bowl. Whisk in 50ml cold water and season to taste. Toast the pittas.
- Serve 2 kebabs each, with the dressed salad alongside. Season and stuff the kebabs into the pittas, drizzle over the yogurt dressing and garnish with lemon wedges.
Use the freshest leaves in season as the bed for this zingy lamb kebab recipe, which can be served as a family supper or a weekend lunch.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Alternative barbecue recipes
Lamb and peach skewers with za’atar flatbreads and herby sauce
Barbecue skewers of juicy lamb and sweet stone fruits and serve with homemade za’atar flatbreads...