Rhubarb and ginger pickle
- March 2008
- Makes 1.2 litres or fills 4 x 340g jars
- Ready in 45 minutes
This rhubarb and ginger pickle recipe goes well with Wensleydale cheese and cold meats.
- Dairy-free recipes
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- ½ cinnamon stick
- 2 star anise
- 300ml cider vinegar
- Finely grated zest and juice of 1 orange
- 100g golden raisins
- 4cm piece fresh ginger, finely chopped
- 3 pieces crystallised ginger, thinly sliced
- 400g granulated sugar
- 1kg forced rhubarb, trimmed, washed and cut into 2.5cm pieces
- Place the onion, cinnamon, star anise and vinegar in a large, heavy-based pan and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add the orange zest and juice, raisins, both gingers and sugar, and stir until the sugar dissolves. Simmer for 15 minutes, until it is a thick syrup. Add the rhubarb and cook gently for about 10 minutes.
- Pour into sterilised jars, cool, then seal and store in the fridge for up to 5 weeks.
Rate & review