Rice pudding with hot cherry sauce
- January 2013
- Serves 8
- Takes 15 minutes to make, 40 minutes to cook, plus cooling time
This is the perfect pudding for Christmas time, or once you’ve tried it, any time! A rich creamy rice and a sweet, sharp cherry sauce.
- 53.2g (27.1g saturated)
- 70.1g (35.8g sugars)
- 2 vanilla pods
- 300g short grain pudding rice
- 1.6 litres whole milk
- 2 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp caster sugar
- 150g blanched almonds
- 500ml double cream
for the hot cherry sauce
- 700g cherries, tinned or from a jar
- 50g caster sugar, or to taste (more if the cherries are unsweetened)
- 1 vanilla pod, split
- 3 tbsp cornflour
- Split one of the vanilla pods lengthways, keeping the two halves attached at one end. Bring 300ml water to the boil in a large, heavy-based pan, then add the rice and boil for 2 minutes, while stirring. Add the milk and split vanilla pod, stirring until it returns to a boil. Cover and cook for 25 minutes, stirring often so it doesn’t burn. Remove from the heat and add the salt. Cover and set aside for 10 minutes, then stir in the sugar and leave until cold or overnight.
- Remove the vanilla pod, then transfer the mixture to a large bowl.
- Roughly chop all the almonds except for one, which must be left whole for the game (see below). Split the second vanilla pod lengthways, scrape out the seeds with the tip of a knife and add them to the rice. Whip the cream in a bowl until it forms soft peaks. Fold one third into the rice to loosen, then fold in the rest. Add the chopped almonds. Taste the pudding: it should be sweet with a flavour of vanilla. Push the whole almond down into the pudding; it should be well hidden.
- To make the hot cherry sauce, mix the cherries, sugar and split vanilla pod with 500ml water in a saucepan. Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 15 minutes. Mix the cornflour with 3 tbsp cold water in a cup or small bowl. Slowly add it to the cherries until they thicken, stirring constantly, and season to taste with more sugar, if you want. Serve the cold rice pudding with the hot cherry sauce.
Make double the amount of cherry sauce and pour into sterilised jars while still warm. Label the jars, wrap in cellophane and use as Christmas gifts.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Rice pudding recipes
Rice pudding with honey soaked fruit and pistachios
Rice pudding is a traditional Middle Eastern dessert. This recipe is made with coffee making...
Granny Brett’s warm vanilla rice pudding with golden syrup
Roy Brett’s creamy vanilla rice pudding is inspired by the version his Granny used to...
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...