Risotto with blue cheese and leeks
- December 2010
- 15g unsalted butter
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, finely sliced
- 2 leeks, finely sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 400g arborio risotto rice
- 175ml white wine
- A few sprigs of fresh thyme, leaves stripped
- 1.4 litres good-quality vegetable stock, hot
- 100g blue cheese, crumbled
- 50g (vegetarian) Parmesan, grated
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/fan160°C/gas 4. Heat the butter and olive oil in a shallow casserole. When the butter has melted, gently fry the sliced onion for 5 minutes until softened. Add the thyme, leeks and garlic, then fry for 5 minutes more.
- Add the arborio risotto rice and stir to coat in the buttery vegetables. Pour over the wine, turn up the heat and stir until it has been absorbed, then add the hot stock to the casserole and season.
- Bring to the boil, cover with a tight-fitting lid and bake for 25 minutes until the stock is absorbed and the rice is tender. Stir through the cheeses and season well with freshly ground black pepper. Serve immediately.
Risottos are a fabulous way of using up leftover ingredients such as squash, bacon or Parmesan.
Rate & review