Quick apple rarebits
- March 2016
- Serves 4
- Hands-on time 5 min
A quick and comforting recipe that combines sourdough bread with gooey cheese and slices of apple.
- Vegetarian recipes
- 100g chopped mature cheddar
- 50g chopped gruyére cheese
- 60ml good quality stout or porter
- 1tsp English mustard
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 2 medium free-range egg yolks
- 4 medium sourdough bread slices
- 1 cored and very thinly sliced eating apple
- The soup of your choice
- Set the grill to medium-high. In a food processor, whizz the cheddar, gruyére, stout, mustard, Worcestershire and egg yolks. Season well, then whizz once more to a smooth paste.
- Trim the bread slices so that they fit snugly inside the rim of a heatproof soup bowl, then lightly toast.
- Divide the apple slices among the toasts, then top with the cheese sauce.
- Warm through the soup of your choice (we like butternut squash) then divide among the bowls. Put the toasts on top of the soups and grill for 5-10 minutes until the cheese is golden and bubbling. Serve straight away while the topping is still gooey.
Rate & review