Roast chicken and bulgur wheat salad
- February 2010
- Serves 4
- Takes 15 minutes to make, 25 minutes to cook, plus marinating
The chicken and bulgur wheat combination make this easy-to-prepare salad recipe a substantial meal for dinner.
- 33g (8.5g saturated)
- 42.6g (4.7g sugars)
- 8 boneless free-range chicken thighs
- Zest of ½ lemon, juice of 1½ lemons
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Small handful fresh thyme leaves
- 3 garlic cloves, unpeeled
- 190g bulgur wheat, rinsed
- 800ml vegetable stock, hot
- 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 small bunch each fresh parsley and mint leaves, roughly chopped
- 100g feta, crumbled
- 2 tbsp roasted hazelnuts, chopped
- 2 cooked and peeled beetroot, grated
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/fan180°C/gas 6. In a dish, marinate the chicken in the juice of 1 lemon for 20 minutes. Transfer to a roasting tin, drizzle with the olive oil, scatter with the thyme and season. Add the garlic and roast for 25 minutes until cooked through.
- Meanwhile, place the bulgur wheat in a bowl and cover with the hot stock. Cover and stand for 15 minutes until tender. Drain in a sieve, squeezing out the excess liquid.
- Fork through the extra-virgin olive oil, herbs, lemon zest and the rest of the lemon juice. Squeeze out the roast garlic and stir in. Fold through the feta and chopped hazelnuts.
- Cut the chicken into pieces and spoon onto the salad along with the beetroot. Drizzle with the juices from the roasting tin, and serve.
Substitute couscous, brown rice or Puy lentils for the bulgur wheat. Cook according to pack instructions.
Rate & review
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...