Roast turkey with lemon, garlic and herb butter
- December 2010
- Serves 8-10
- Takes 20 minutes to make, about 2 hours 10 minutes to 2½ hours to cook
This roast turkey recipe benefits from the herby, zesty stuffing, which turns it into a lovely, flavourful bird for the Christmas table.
- 27.8g (11g saturated)
- 16.4g (2g sugars)
For 10 servings
- 50g butter, softened
- Finely grated zest of 2 lemons
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- Small handful of fresh flatleaf parsley, finely chopped
- A few sprigs of fresh thyme, leaves stripped
- 5-6kg free-range turkey
- Chestnut and pork herb stuffing
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/fan180°C/gas 6. Mix the butter with the lemon zest, garlic and herbs. Ease the skin from the meat of the turkey with your hands, starting at the neck end. Without breaking the skin, smear the butter under it so the breast is well coated.
- Put in a big roasting tin (keeping any giblets to make stock, if you like). Stuff a quarter of the stuffing into the neck end of the turkey.
- Weigh the bird and calculate the cooking time at 20 minutes per kg, plus 30 minutes. Season. Roast for 30 minutes, then turn the oven down to 180°C/fan160°C/gas 4 and cook for the rest of the calculated time, until the juices run clear when you pierce the turkey with a sharp knife where the thigh meets the body. If the skin looks like it might burn, cover loosely with foil.
- Once cooked, remove to a warm serving platter and rest, covered in foil, for at least 20 minutes before carving. Keep the juices for the gravy.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Christmas turkey recipes
Buttered turkey with porcini and sourdough stuffing
Looking for a Christmas turkey with juicy meat and crisp skin? This buttered Christmas turkey...
Roast turkey crown with pancetta, date and sage stuffed legs
Our roast turkey crown with stuffed legs is a clever way to cook your turkey...