Roasted peppers with herb couscous
- June 2010
- Serves 4
- Takes 20 min to make, 40 min to cook
This healthy vegetarian recipe of roasted peppers and couscous is hearty enough to serve as a main.
- 11g (5.1g saturated)
- 39.9g (12.3g sugar)
- 1 (about 100g) small courgette, sliced
- 1 red onion, cut into wedges
- 2 garlic cloves, sliced
- 12 plum tomatoes, halved
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 4 red or yellow peppers, halved
- 50g asparagus tips
- 100g vegetarian goat’s cheese, crumbled
- 200g barley couscous (we used Belazu)
- 250ml hot vegetable stock
- 1 tbsp roughly torn fresh basil leaves
- 1 tbsp roughly chopped fresh parsley leaves
- ½ tbsp finely chopped fresh mint leaves
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/fan160°C/gas 4. Put the courgette, red onion, garlic and cherry tomatoes in a bowl; drizzle with the oil, season and mix well. Place the halved peppers, cut-side up, in a roasting tin and divide the mixture among them. Evenly distribute the asparagus and goat’s cheese. Place in the oven for 30-40 minutes, until the peppers have softened and the cheese is turning golden.
- Meanwhile, put the barley couscous in a bowl and cover with the hot vegetable stock. Cover with cling film, leave to stand for 8-10 minutes, then season and fluff with a fork.
- When the peppers are ready, stir the herbs into the couscous and spread over a serving plate. Top with the peppers and drizzle with any juices from the roasting tin.
Peppers are rich in a variety of antioxidants, and barley couscous offers slow-release carbs and some fibre.
Rate & review